Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy 4th of July Weekend

 Keepin it Simple


I have been hearing a lot of folks talk about 4th of July plans.

But honestly, we didn't make any "special plans".

We use to make big plans.
I thought we needed to be doing something spectacular, memorable 
you know, a tradition.  
Living at a tourist destination, 
The 4th of July can be ...
what is a good discription?

Maximum Occupancy

I tend to want to veer as far from the crowds as possible.

We would head for the hills (literally)  and go camping with friends.
 However, kids grow up and lives evolve.   


It has been a while since we left the island for the 4th of July.

We keep things simple...
staying close to home and walking 
down to the beach 
to watch the firework displays.

And let me tell ya...
there are fireworks EVERYWHERE!

Sometimes the fireworks that beach goers put off are more spectacular then the ones put on by the townships.

It is difficult to tell when the "official" fireworks began.

Fireworks have been banned now...
however that doesn't seem to stop some.

I heard some going off last night.

Over the years I  have become less excitable over this tradition of fireworks.

I am kind of that way with a lot of traditions, these days.

I use to feel bad.
I thought that I was depriving my daughter of some sense of
 "home"or "tradition.

I have since come to understand ...
for me,
tradition and home 
can be achieved on a daily basis.
These things that are celebrated once a year,
if they are to really be special and monumental then why must I limit myself and my family to only practice them on specific days of the year.

Like Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter...

why not all year long?

I obviously can not speak for everyone...
but for myself,
I don't see the point in rushing around trying to create a picture perfect expectation of what this one day should be like.  Because often times when I would do this, I would miss the day and then it was gone... 
not even truly being present in the moment.

It seems to me that the day would have much more profound meaning without all the hoopla.

It is my opinion that we as a nation have become desensitized and distracted by all the "fluff".

When I ponder on our Independence 
These questions arise.

What EXACTLY did our forefathers want independence from?  
 &
Have we not traded one Monarchy for another?

The almighty dollar?

So, how will I spend my 
HOLIDAY weekend?

Relaxing

With no place I "have to be"

No Schedule or Clock!

Beach

 Spending time at the beach with friends and family.
I will not take for granted that in which I am blessed to have at my leisure.

No Schoolwork


No classwork for Mary.  
Just time to kick around with her buddies and enjoy life!


 Deviled Eggs


I plan to make a bunch of Deviled Eggs with fresh Dill from the garden to take out to the barn and share with the Barn Family.


 Cobbler

Yum, yum...



Fresh picked Blackberries never tasted so good!  
I am surprised we had any left over to even make a cobbler.
I hope we can pick some more, 
I would love to make some preserves.


I combined 2 recipes that I liked to come up with my own version.


Cobbler Recipe
  • 3 cups fruit (fresh or frozen)
  • 1 tbs lemon juice
  • 1/4 tsp almond extract
  • 1 c flour
  • 1 c sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 egg 
  • 6 tbs butter
Place fruit on bottom of dish, sprinkel with lemon juice and almond extract.  Sift together dry ingredients.  Add and mix with fork or hands (my personal favorite) until crumbly.  Sprinkle over fruit.  Drizzle with melted butter and bake for 35 - 40 minutes at 375 degrees.



It's the Little Things



I'll exercise my "freedom" to choose...
to choose to recycle not dispose.


Every little bit counts!
I will need something to put the leftover BBQ ribs from an evening of grilling pleasure.
It's Bill's turn to cook.

Treats


And we plan to spend the actual day of the 4th with the whole family, 4 legged members included!

We will start the day with a lazy morning at home...
followed by a trip out to the barn in the afternoon.
And the usual rule of thumb when we go to the barn is...
there are no clocks, phones or drama. 
We may swing over to the boat ramp and check out the fireworks across the sound at the Corolla Lighthouse.

However, if we don't

No worries...
I live on an island...
I am sure people will be setting off fireworks on all sides for our viewing pleasure on our ride back home.

Best Find of the Weekend


A friend told a friend who told a friend...
I am truly inspired!

              Chickens in the Road

I listened to a webcast that Suzanne McMinn did for NPR and she said that she was driving on a back, back road in West Virginia when she saw chickens in the road.  She then said, thats what she wanted
... a place where she could have chickens in the road.

I was tickled by the title of the site as it was...
but to here this...
made me feel all warm and fuzzy.

I already have chickens in the road!
And up until now it was a source of stress for me.

It is all about perspective...




I hope everyone enjoys their independence!

No comments: