Thursday, August 12, 2010

Gourd Bowls

Let's Go





I just couldn't help myself. I "should" have finished the prep on these bowls.


The inside of the bowls still need to be cleaned more.




But, I was dyeing to get started!







New Dye





I found an awesome online shop out of North Carolina, that caters to the gourd enthusiast.



Woo hoo!



All kinds of cool products.



I couldn't wait to get them at the NC gourd festival or the VA gourd festival. I was ready to play!



So, I purchased some new dyes and applicators from them a while back and I have been letting them collect dust in my newly renovated studio.


I could stand it NO longer. I had to break them out... new packaging HAD to go!









So, I PLAYED!





This was really a first for me.

Typically I paint my gourds with acrylic paint and then give them a clear coat.



I tried dying some a while back with some left over fiber dye.



It didn't work out the way I had hoped. I had to use a LOT of dye and still got a very muted tint.







Koi





I really like how this koi turned out.





Lily





This bowl will get a few background touch ups and of course the inside...



but for the most part this one is ready to be waxed.









Sunflower





This one will need a little more work.



The background needs a second dose of dye and then I need to do some detail work.



Not Bad























Of course, I am not completely satisfied.


However, I am pleased with the way this dye reacted to the gourd shell.


It's the human

behind the dye that needs a little more work.


All in all

not bad for a first go round.








No comments: