Friday, June 18, 2010

How Do You See Things?

Look Closer


The other day I had a random conversation with a perfect stranger... imagine that?

Some how we got on the subject of bees.

She expressed her passionate dislike for these winged creatures. And I of course... being "me" tried to point out the upside of these regal pollinators. She did not share my appreciation. And there was no swaying her from this opinion.

Then she shared with me that she is DEATHLY allergic to them.

On The Third Day


Just when you think you have seen her at her best... she opens up to reveal even more beauty.
Chamomile Anyone?

God is in the details.
It is my opinion that life is full of opportunity.
Opportunity to find humor, love, creativity, growth and community. Every event, every action and every disappointment is an opportunity. Sometimes the choice is blatant and obvious, some more subtle and then there are others that require more time to unfold.
It is usually those times that my most profound lesson is to be learned.

Echa... What?

OK, so I know what it is, I just can't spell it.

Thank Google for spell check!



Oh, Happy Day!


Another volunteer
I tried for YEARS to plant & grow sunflowers in all sorts of areas in my yard. I created beautiful, well fertilized beds for the seeds and perfectly placed them in the recommended seed spacing. I started seedlings and transplanted them... only to have weak, unhappy little daisy like flowers. I was persistent. I REALLY wanted sunflowers in my yard... I loved them. However, the same outcome occurred... unhappy, tiny flowers and a frustrated Debbie.
So, I let go and moved on to other things. One of those things was to put out bird feeders. I bought big bags of birdseed. I figured if I didn't have happy sunflowers then I would at least have happy birds.
Guess what happened?
Yep ... little sunflowers started popping up EVERYWHERE...
and now I don't plant sunflowers anymore or buy birdseed.


Then There Were Four




So, three days ago I had one bloom open and today I have four. I love this Lotus.
It was given to me many years ago by a "phenomenal" woman.
It took a long time for it to really get going. It bloomed the year it was planted, but then nothing for many years. Three years ago, I got the first bloom... one single bloom. The next year there were three, last year there were five... and this year... well I am still counting the abundant blooms.
PHENOMENAL WOMAN

Pretty women wonder where my secret lies
I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size
But when I start to tell them
They think I'm telling lies.
I say,
It's in the reach of my arms
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.
I walk into a room
Just as cool as you please,
And to a man,
The fellows stand or
Fall down on their knees.
Then they swarm around me,
A hive of honey bees.
I say,
It's the fire in my eyes
And the flash of my teeth,
The swing of my waist,
And the joy in my feet.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.
Men themselves have wondered
What they see in me.
They try so much
they can't touch
My inner mystery.
When I try to show them,
They say they still can't see.
I say
It's in the arch of my back,
The sun of my smile,
The ride of my breasts,
The grace of my style.
I'm a woman Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.
Now you understand
Just why my head's not bowed.
I don't shout or jump about
Or have to talk real loud.
When you see me passing
It ought to make you proud.
I say,
It's in the click of my heels,
The bend of my hair,
The palm of my hand,
The need of my care,
'Cause I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

from And Still I Rise by Maya Angelou
copyright © 1978 by Maya Angelou.










A Place to Ponder


This is my "special place". I sometimes sit here for hours.
Drinking coffee, reading, drawing, journal, observing and simple meditation.
It is not always filled with lush happy plants, but is is always filled with life, hope and dreams.






No comments: